Coral Gables

West Kendall


When to see an Audiologist vs an ENT Specialist?

2019-07-18T19:30:47+00:006 April 2018|hearing health, hearing loss|

Hearing loss can be a complicated occurrence, as it can be linked to other symptoms or illnesses. Because of the complexity of hearing loss, many people can find it difficult to decide where to seek the best help for their hearing issues. If you ask around, you may be pointed in the direction of an ear, nose and throat specialist (ENT), also known as an Otolaryngologist, or referred to an Audiologist – but how do you know which is correct for you?

To decide whether you should book an appointment with an audiologist versus an ENT specialist, it helps to first understand their services and specialties. Audiologists deal directly with hearing loss. They are extensively knowledgeable in matters of the auditory system and are professionally trained to diagnose and treat hearing loss, as well as recommending, fitting and adjusting hearing assistive devices.

In most cases, a visit to the audiologist is usually the first step when you experience hearing loss unrelated to any other medical condition. An audiologist will administer a hearing test based on your symptoms to determine hearing loss and its cause. Depending on the type of hearing loss and the cause of the hearing loss you’re experiencing, the audiologist will seek options to help you preserve your remaining hearing and also address long-term hearing loss with assistive devices, like hearing aids.

If an audiologist is unable to treat your hearing loss or you have a medical condition that contributes to hearing loss, you may be referred to an ENT specialist. An ENT is a doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating head and neck disorders, more specifically, conditions and illnesses that affect the ear, nose, and throat. ENT’s have the expertise to treat these conditions with medicine or surgical procedures. Common symptoms and conditions treated by ENT specialists are allergies, sinus infections, headaches, asthma, and obstructive sleep apnea. If you have experienced these symptoms and are in the South Florida area, contact Carreno ENT Partners or your primary physician.

Hearing loss can be tricky, but New Generation Hearing Centers can help! If you are experiencing hearing loss unrelated to any known medical condition, contact New Generation Hearing Centers today for a free consultation.