Summer is a great time to be active and enjoy social activities. For hearing aid wearers, summer is also a time to pay more attention to properly caring for your ears and hearing aids.
The summer heat and moisture can damage your hearing aids batteries and make you more prone to ear infections. To avoid complications or damages from heat and moisture, follow these tips:
- When not wearing your hearing aids, store them in a cool, dry area
- Never leave your hearing aids in direct sunlight
- Keep an extra set of batteries for backup or invest in rechargeable hearing aids
- On warmer days, keep a microfiber towel handy to dry your hearing aids throughout the day
- Wear a swim cap and/or ear plugs to keep water out of your ears while swimming or participating in water sports
- Dry your ears completely to avoid trapping water in them and damaging your hearing aids or causing an ear infection
If you have an active lifestyle, especially during the warmer months, you should consider upgrading to hearing aids that better support your activities. The Phonak Lyric and Phonak’s Naída™ Marvel are both great options for those who love outdoor activities. The Lyric is an invisible hearing aid that fits perfectly in your ear and stays in place no matter how active you are. Unlike most other hearing aids, it can be worn 24/7, including during showers and exercise. The Naída Marvel is durable, dust and water-resistant, and has a long-lasting battery. You should also consider the ReSound LiNX Quattro and Oticon OPN S, which are powerful, rechargeable hearing aids.
Don’t forget, choosing the right hearing aid also includes knowing your specific type of hearing loss and severity. Speak with your audiologist about these hearing aids and more to help find the best fit for you.
For more tips on caring for your hearing or your hearing aids, contact the experts at New Generation Hearing Centers.